Climbing in 2019
Sport climbing is booming!
In recent years, climbing has become a truly popular sport, mostly because of numerous climbing gyms: more and more athletes are attracted by vertical challenges, both indoor and outdoor, and the trend continues. All this for a very good reason: climbing is a complex mind challenging sport which trains most of our 656 muscles.
A large worldwide climbing community
- 25 million people are climbing regularly
- They are part of the 250 million outdoor enthusiasts
- Popularity in largest cities (300+ indoor climbing walls in London / 350+ in Paris Ile-de-France)
- Climbing gyms from 2007 to 2012 have increased by 50%.
A community with a unique profile
- IFSC members come from both mountain/rural and urban areas
- Climbers are young (39% under 18) but practice until 60 years or more
- The share of female climbers is very high. Membership of the IFSC is 7% higher for females than other International Governing Bodies.
- Sport Climbing will likely grow even faster with its inclusion as a full medal event at the Olympic Games!